Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Problem With Trolls


Like many of the other progressive bloggers, I am having an issue dealing with some right wing trolls that have thought they would be clever by insulting me, my family or my readers.

I am pondering to turn on comment moderation, even though I am loathe to do so. I feel free speech is one of the greatest things about our country, and wish to honor that right to the fullest.

But while I agree everyone has a right to express themselves and their thoughts, I don't agree that this means that they can resort to personal attacks and gross vulgarities. After all, this is "my place" and I would expect my guests to show the same respect that they would if they were at someone's home in real life.

If you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to read it. If you want to argue the points, please, feel free. But if you insist on boorish behaviors, don't be surprised if your comment goes down the rabbit hole forever.

And if it becomes too bothersome, I will switch over to moderating the comments. If I have to take it to that level, I apologize in advance to the reasonable readers and commenters, on both sides of the political aisle. It's not me, it's not you, it's the trolls.

5 comments:

  1. I think of it like, yes, I believe in freedom of speech. But that doesn't mean you or I have to provide a forum for it. Freedom to disagree and civility need to coexist together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have troubles. I think over at Boots and Sabers Mickey has stolen my identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, you know I've been dealing with this over at my place lately, and all I can say is sometimes comment moderation serves its purpose. I think I've eliminated my problem troll(s); good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, Keith, after your attack on Down Syndrome kids, you have no right to complain about anyone.
    Too bad some people act badly, sorry Capper, I apologize. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't need to apologize, Dan, although I do appreciate the thought. I know it's not you.

    ReplyDelete