Sunday, February 22, 2009

Looking Fourward

I've mentioned earlier that the Favre family has their own blog.

After her father's recent retirement, Brittany Favre shared some of her thought:
This game of on and off retirement has finally come to an end and I don't think I could be more relieved. All of dad's fans have watched as he toiled over the decision, mostly wanting him to continue playing. My mindset was that I just wanted him to make a decision. Any decision. Although it would have been fun to rejoin the Jets for another season, I'm proud of my dad for finally deciding to do what is best for him, without being too affected by outside influences.
Everyone has heard that Favre stated that he felt forced out by Ted Thompson, which is what I had been saying all along.

Whether you thought it was a good idea to push Favre out or not, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Favre still won. Even with a torn bicep for the last part of the season, he still had more wins that the Pack with Rodgers. (Speaking of which, at least no one will accuse the GBP A-Rod of using steroids.) Meanwhile, the only person less popular than Thompson in Packer Nation is Drew Rosenhaus.

And the way they are going, Thompson and his sychophant, McCarthy will be gone after next year. Then the rebuilding can start. And that is when Favre will return to retire his number, if my guess is right.

7 comments:

  1. Hmm. The Jets had a better over all team, yet Rodgers had, I believe, somewhat better numbers than Favre. I'm glad Brett retired. I felt he should have retired a couple years ago. He'd done enough, imo. I know my opinion on the whole deal is not popular, as I don't bow at the alter of Favre. I loved watching the guy p[lay, but it's a team sport. I never blamed Favre for all the losses nor gave him total credit for the wins. My question to everyone out there is this. If Thompson and McCarthy start winning, will you still hate them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking only for myself, I would say it would take a lot of improvement on a consistent basis before I would buy into their qualifications. I have seen little to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billiam, what matter is wins and loses. Rodgers and the Packers had fewer wins than the previous year and the Jets and Favre improved their record. that's what matters.
    As for liking thompson, never liked him as a GM and never will. But then again, never really liked Barry Alverez either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all's complaints are mildly amusing to someone who's had to deal with Jerry Jones as owner of his favorite team for the last 20 years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'all's complaints are mildly amusing to someone who's had to deal with Jerry Jones as owner of his favorite team for the last 20 years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt, Dan. Again, the jets had the overall better personel. Still, I'm no Favre sycophant. The man is not the be all end all of quarterbacks, and he is not a total innocent in this sad affair. Rodgers did a pretty damn good job this year, and I think he'll improve. As to the rest of the team, time will tell. I still remember all those bandwagon fans calling for Favre's head after the 4-12 season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's right, all that matters is wins. That's why Kerry Collins was named MVP of the league.

    Favre was probably on pace for a better year than Rodgers until he got hurt with about 4-5 games left. Those last 4 games he completely tanked it, but I can't blame the Jets for being reluctant to put in Kellen Clemens. Favre was also too egotistical to finally sit his ass down. I cracked up listening to the Jets talk about what a cancer he was in the locker room, how he never even tried to get to know his team. This trip to NY was mostly to stick it to Ted Thompson, but frankly I think Favre did everything he could to prove Ted right.

    I hope it was worth it

    ReplyDelete